At 53ft 10ins wide and 36 tons, the X-51 is the only surviving example of the four Stickleback-class boats built from 1954-55. Although built for a proposed Cold-War mission, the operation was ultimately cancelled. On 15th July 1958, HMS Stickleback was loaned to Sweden and re-named Spiggen.

 

After being decommissioned in 1977, she spent several years at the Imperial War Museum, before returning home to the Scottish Submarine Centre in 2016.

 

The building which is now the SSC was once King Street Hall, the annex of St Columba Church. After the front of the building was opened to allow the X-51 to be installed in her new home, a world-class multimillion pound media centre has been constructed around her. This 21st-century technology will be used to tell the story of submarines, from the 19th-century into the future of submarines.

West King Street

G84 8TR

Helensburgh

Argyll & Bute

 

 

 

Scottish Charity SC045355

West King Street

G84 8TR

Helensburgh

Argyle & Bute

 

Scottish Charity SC045355